Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood has been released on bail pending further investigation into his domestic abuse incident involving his girlfriend, Harriet Robson.
On Sunday, Harriet released damning evidence to her social media in picture, audio and video format incriminating Greenwood as an abusive partner which she captioned, “for those who want to know what Mason Greenwood actually does to me”.
Greater Manchester police sprung into action immediately, arresting and detaining the 20-year-old forward on suspicion of rape and assault. Greenwood spent two nights in police custody as they continued to investigate the issue.
On Monday, Greater Manchester police were granted extra dispensation to continue his detention, but this time, on suspicions of of sexual assault and threats to kill his girlfriend, Robson.
Robson has since deleted all the posts from her social media but the evidence remains in public domain and with the police. Alan Robson, the victim’s father, spoke to Daily Mail about the incident, claiming that his daughter’s phone was hacked.
He said to Daily Mail: “The first time we knew about this was at 6am this morning. It is dreadful. I’m just coming to terms with it all.
“As a father you don’t want to know things like that happening to your daughter. The police have been round and she has made a statement to them.
“She has told us her phone has been hacked. We told her to take it down, which she has done but it’s out there now so it is too late.
“She is devastated because she didn’t want it released. We have known him since the under 21s. He has been part of our family for two or three years.
“Their relationship has not been good for the last few months. She is completely devastated by it all.
“They were very much in love and have been together for a while. The police are dealing with it now.’
Greenwood, however, was released on bail on Wednesday pending further inquiries into the case. A statement from the police on the striker’s bail release simply read: “A 20-year-old man arrested (on Sunday 30 January 2022) on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation”.
Manchester United players follow Greenwood on Instagram after bail
Manchester United players began to unfollow the 20-year-old on Instagram after his arrest, in solidarity with the victim. This was after the club, his sponsors and the makers of the FIFA video game, Electronic Arts, had distanced themselves from the striker.
The United players have started following Greenwood again on Instagram after his bail was made official on Wednesday, as a bail release means that no official charges have been pressed yet.
Marcus Rashford, Jesse Lingard and Fred were among the first to unfollow Greenwood and have now followed him back on the social media app.
Meanwhile, the club is still reeling from the incident, which led to their promising youngster being detained. Greenwood has been one of their best performers this season, and has been so after breaking into the first team in 2019.
His arrest also reportedly led to the club blocking Jesse Lingard’s move away from Old Trafford in the just concluded winter transfer window. The club had previously released Amad Diallo, Donny Van De Beek and Anthony Martial on loan to various clubs and were short in attack, requiring them to keep Lingard.
“Everyone is very shaken up,” said a source from within the United camp to reporters. “This is very different to the normal things they have to deal with.”
Fans can swap their Greenwood shirts, United stores announce
Meanwhile fans continue to express displeasure and disappointment over their golden boy’s behaviour and are calling on the club to punish him outrightly. One of the ways is to have everything about him removed from the club.
Fans who also bought Greenwood-related United merchandise have also called for refunds. United have now taken down everything about Greenwood from their club’s resources including his player information on the website, videos of him, and all related merchandise.
They have also announced to fans who purchased swag relating to the striker to come for an exchange and get another player’s merchandise for free.
The development will continue this way until the striker is proven either innocent or guilty.